High School students are pressed to formulate plans for their future, sometimes with little insight regarding career interests, goals or options.
Guidance Counselors work hard to help students explore their interests, identify goals and guide students toward their post-graduate pathway. Many career pathways to success fly under the radar. Careers in the construction industry fall into this category. Occupations related to the construction industry offer high earnings potential, career satisfaction and long-term career growth.
Today’s construction-related careers appeal to students with a wide range of interests.
Do you know students interested in History? Art? Design? Computers? Technology? Marketing? Business? Science? Math?
Can you think of students who excel at project-based work? Are team players? Take on leadership roles? Enjoy working with their hands? Like working with technology? Enjoy sports?
If YES, then having an awareness and knowledge of construction-related occupations and career pathways can HELP YOU HELP STUDENTS to think "outside the box" about how to leverage their interests into successful and satisfying careers.SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
To increase awareness of the multiple career pathways and entry points available to young people in the construction, architecture, and engineering fields, Specialized Career Guidance has created an online course for guidance counselors. Guiding Students to Career Success: Career Pathways for Construction, Engineering and Architecture is designed to show guidance counselors the steps that middle school and high school students can take to gain entry to careers in the construction, architecture and engineering fields.
Utilizing this course, Guidance Counselors will
- Gain knowledge of construction-related career pathways and the many educational options for accessing those pathways
- Become well-versed in construction-related career pathways and opportunities that exist in their school, district and region
- Be prepared to think strategically about how students of varying backgrounds, educational experiences, skills and interests can access pathways best suited for them
This six-module, online course provides
- An overview of careers in construction, architecture and engineering
- Details and examples for how students can access these career pathways
- An understanding of educational pathways and pivot points leading to construction-related careers
- Steps students can take in Middle School and High School to gain practical experience in their area of interest
- Resources to help guidance counselors identify existing construction-related programs in their school, district and region
- Worksheets and resources that serve as tools during one-on-one or group sessions with students regarding construction-related careers, work environment preferences and steps on seeking additional career-related information
Did you know…….
- Students with diverse abilities, cultural backgrounds and work culture preferences can excel in construction-related career fields
- 1/5 of those employed in construction-related careers work in management, business and financial operations occupations
- Women account for 1.2 million of those employed in the construction industry (or about 1 in 10)
Guiding Students to Career Success: Career Pathways for Construction, Engineering and Architecture provides guidance counselors with the knowledge, resources and next steps to